Table of Contents
On a positive note, renewable energies such as solar are considered a better alternative compared to burning fossil fuels and causing major urban air pollution. Burning fossil fuels for energy, heat and transportation is one of the main causes of the emission of greenhouse gases.
While industries increase their efforts towards drawing a line in the environmental problems directly related to energy consumption, there are still questions that need answers. For those who are keenly interested in investing in a green lifestyle, the main concern is are solar panels really green?
Is solar power really environmentally friendly?
The growth of industries around the world raises concerns for cleaner, safer energy and solar panels are increasingly becoming a safer option.
According to the International Energy Agency (IEA) report summary of 2021, the renewable power capacity driven by solar PV is set to create a record as of 2021. 290 GW of new renewable power is commissioned in 2021 which is 3% higher than the 2020s growth.
Solar PV is estimated to accelerate in the next 5 years, increasing 95% of the global power capacity.
The IEA summary report also summarizes that China remains the leader in the solar industry with 43% of global renewable capacity.
China is followed by Europe, the USA and India, these are 4 main markets producing 80% of solar PV and are responsible for renewable capacity expansion worldwide.
Even though the increase in solar panels is slowly visible worldwide, the concerns of producing the solar panels remain, as it can have a negative environmental impact.
Why is solar energy not sustainable?
However, fabricating solar panels requires chemicals such as sodium hydroxide and hydroxide acid which are combined with water resulting in emission of greenhouse gases.
The production process causes waste undercutting solar energies capacity to reduce climate change and environmental problems such as reducing toxins. By understanding the production process, it is clear that solar panels are not 100% green, clean and zero-emission.
With technology and geographical advantages, steps are taken to dispose of, recycle and reuse materials used in the production process. The solar industry is trying to eliminate as much of the damaging effects by moving productions of photovoltaics from certain countries.
PV materials are created with rare materials and several resources that need to be recycled to reduce the impact on the environment. Recycling the panels is important to avoid harmful chemicals released in the atmosphere and harming the environment and health in the long term.
It is not fair to conclude that solar energy is overall bad when it is contributing to the reduction of environmental problems after setting up.
Why are solar panels green energy?
In comparison to the lifespan of fossil fuels, solar can exist as long as the sun shows up.
Solar panels have a low environmental impact
Once again, in comparison to burning fossil fuels, solar panels have a low environmental impact. With the adapting technology to use, solar panels can be created without water wastage. Some manufacturers opt for less harmful options when it comes to production.
The technology for solar energy is becoming cost-competitive, even though it is expensive it is a green choice.
Solar panels are independent energy
Hence, solar panels are considered a secure and independent way of producing energy.
What are the 5 merits of using solar energy as an energy source?
If you are interested in investing in green energy then solar panels can be the best option for you. It can be the start of an eco-friendly green lifestyle. Here are 5 advantages of installing solar panels in your home.
- Installing solar panels helps save money on your electricity bills.
- Solar panels reduce carbon emissions.
- Despite the saying that solar panels only work when the sun shines brighter, one of the many benefits of installing solar panels in your home is that solar panels work anywhere in any kind of climate. Rain, snow, hurricane or light hail, when there is a slight hit of sunlight on the panels it starts generating electricity.
- When you are not using the excess solar energy you can sell back, depending on the state you are living in.
- Solar power is considered reliable and it can also grant you federal assistance.
What is the biggest problem with solar energy?
Everything has its own set of pros and cons, so do solar panels. Considering both the pros and cons will give you a better idea of what you are investing in.
- Solar panels are expensive to install.
- Intermittency- Solar panels do not generate electricity during the night. This is important when you want to be off the grid and generate 100% powered electricity from solar panels. In case you are not in the grid then you will require electricity storage devices or you can be stuck with oil lamps during the nights.
- Electricity storage devices are expensive.
- Solar panels are hard to move once they are installed.
- Solar panels require a lot of space. You have to choose the size of the panels depending on the space available in your home.
Assess - Design - Quote
install the best suited solar system for your home.